Here you are, in the midst of it yet again. Your computer is acting weird. Your smart phone is even weirder. Your car is making a strange sound. And you just chipped a tooth. What else can go wrong? Well, from September 17th through October 9th, anything is possible because it’s once again Mercury retrograde!
Mercury goes retrograde around three or four times every year, and you’re sure that during this time everything that could possibly go wrong will go wrong. How did this association of trouble during Mercury retrograde begin? Ancient astrologers were very skilled in their observations. Because Mercury is the planet closest to the Sun, it has a much shorter orbit around the Sun than Earth does, and there are times when it looks to Earthlings like Mercury is going backwards.
The Roman god Mercury was considered to rule some very important human activities. Mercury was believed to oversee all types of communication, including negotiating, buying, and selling. He ruled all contracts, agreements, and other documents, as well as the realms of transportation, shipping (including mail), and travel. Technology and machines—from computers to kitchen appliances to cars—are also under his care. Any change in Mercury’s appointed rounds could be seen as occasion for trouble.
Are you one of those people who attributes spells of mental confusion and forgetfulness to Mercury retrograde, blaming the stars when you lose your keys or glasses or lock yourself out of your house? Do you really need to hide under your bed until Mercury goes direct once more?
At some point, it would be a good idea to examine if it’s your own fears and negative expectations that color your experience of Mercury retrograde. Or do you want to believe that the stars are throwing extra trouble your way?
What if instead of running faster to escape the effects of Mercury retrograde, you slow down, refocus, and take a closer look at your life? Think how often you simply blast through your days, hardly noticing where you are and what you are doing. You get to work and realize you scarcely remember driving there. You can’t remember what you had for dinner or what you did last Tuesday. You set your coffee down somewhere and have no idea what happened to it. You enter a room and don’t remember what you came for. These are signs that you are not present in the here and now.
Would you make as many missteps or misplace as many things if you were actually paying attention to the present moment? Mercury retrograde is the perfect time to step back and look at your days with the focus, respect, and gratitude they deserve.
Here are seven things you can do to help make this Mercury Retrograde a different kind of experience:
- Reconnect with your inner self. Reach for greater awareness through the practice of meditation. The more you meditate, the quieter your mind will be. You will be able to be present and feel your feelings.
- Is there some area of your life that needs healing? Consider working with energy medicine to rebalance and refocus.
- Practice being flexible. Reframe obstacles as challenges. Embrace the unexpected as a spiritual reminder from the Universe.
- Practice forgiveness—of yourself as well as of others.
- Allow plenty of time when you do something so you are not rushed. That way you will be able to bring more awareness to every situation. If you tend to be flighty, learn how to get more grounded.
- Keep repeating your mantra. It will calm you and give you a more spacious outlook on life. If you don’t have a mantra, I will give you one when you learn to meditate with me.
- Are your present actions in keeping with what you believe in and what you really want? Think about where you are putting your time and energy. How can you live in closer alignment with your deepest values?
With a higher level of awareness, with greater presence and attention to life, with energy healing, you will be able to overcome many of your fears, doubts, worries, and negative expectations. The more you expect positive experiences in life, the more likely you are to find them—even during Mercury retrograde!