“Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it.” Albert Einstein
If everything is energy, why do you often feel like there’s a serious shortage of the stuff? Some days you wonder if the espresso machine in the office will simply explode from excessive demand. Everyone gathers around with their empty cup seeking energy. And when they get energy, maybe motivation, inspiration, enthusiasm, and joy will follow? That’s an awful lot to ask from a cuppa Joe.
Maybe the trouble isn’t a lack of energy at all. We do have it on good authority, from quantum physics no less, that the universe is made entirely of energy. Our material world is all energy, and so are we. The human body is part of a glorious energy system and each of us vibrates in keeping with the heavenly patterns installed in us for harmony, creativity, and wellbeing. That is unless your energy becomes blocked, stuck, entangled, or otherwise misdirected. No amount of caffeine can help an energy interruption that you yourself are causing.
The energy centers of your body, your chakras, move energy between your personal energy field and the energy field of the universe. In my work as a spiritual teacher and energy healer, I’ve seen how powerfully the energy centered in the chakras can affect your entire being. Without the smooth and healthy flow of energy through your body’s chakra energy system, feelings of emptiness, discouragement, helplessness, and exhaustion can overwhelm you. These energy blockages can be as unique as you are. Over time, your difficult experiences, emotional upsets, and traumas of every kind can block the smooth flow of energy you need to thrive—to be happy, healthy, loving, confident, and prosperous. Even one vital energy center blocked and out of balance can throw the others off, affecting all aspects of your life.
If everything is energy, then keeping the flow going really matters, to you personally and to the power grid we all share. Here are 7 steps for helping your energy system stay on track and keep making its vital contribution to the give-and-take of life:
- Your first chakra, located at the base of your spine, is the seat of your feelings of safety and security in the world. To feel grounded and strengthen this chakra, get in touch with the natural world. Take a walk outside, touch the earth with your bare feet, hug a tree, and feel your connection to the beauty of Nature.
- Your second chakra, midway between your first chakra and your waist, is the sacral or sexual chakra. Because it can become clouded by issues of addiction, shame and guilt, this chakra benefits from a cleansing ritual, swimming in the ocean or taking a soothing sea salt and baking soda bath.
- Your third chakra, halfway between your navel and breastbone, is the solar plexus chakra, seat of your ego, self-esteem and personal power. Physical activity recharges this energy center. Try some t’ai chi, yoga, or Pilates, especially outdoors in the early morning or late afternoon sun.
- Your fourth or heart chakra, located in the center of your chest, is the seat of love, compassion, understanding, and care (including self-care). The experience of unconditional love, giving and receiving it, opens and strengthens the heart chakra. Unconditional love is readily available from a pet—your own or one of the many loving animal friends waiting for your attention at a local shelter.
- Your fifth or throat chakra, the seat of communication and self-expression, is located right in the center of your throat. The inability to express your thoughts and feelings freely can compromise the working of this energy center. Any way that you can use your true and honest voice, from speaking to singing to writing in your journal, can help clear and balance the throat chakra.
- Your sixth chakra, also called the third eye for its connection to intellect and intuition, is located in the center of your forehead. A daily meditation practice can help you “open” your third eye to the world of inner wisdom and create greater clarity of vision, opening the door to inner guidance you may have been missing.
- Your seventh or crown chakra is located at the very top of your head and serves as your connection to Spirit, the intelligent energy that created the universe, the All That Is. Because this chakra is the portal to the greater energy system that surrounds you, you can only flourish with an open channel to this Source, your higher power. Meditation, prayer, and contact with Nature all help restore the crown chakra’s free flow of energy.
By reviving and renewing the energy system within, you can free up a power source for life that will make your dreams come true. With the energy you need to thrive, you can devote more of yourself to the things and the people you love. Now you can save the espresso for when you really need it!
If you’d like to learn more about balancing, clearing and charging your energy powerhouses, discover the secrets of chakra wisdom with me.